Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Public Duty Doctrine.5: Whistleblowing

I'm not totally cynical about the human condition: Man's inhumanity to man. It might come as a surprise to you that there is a guiding light at the end of my tunnel, and his name is Frank Serpico, a retired New York City cop. He blew the whistle on corruption in the New York City Police Department in the early 70's, and almost paid the ultimate price (see Knapp Commission). I'm sure if he had been a trader on Wall Street in, say, 2005, he would have been testifying in front of Congress. He's just that kind of guy.

Hollywood made a movie about him: Serpico, played by Al Pacino (1973).

According to Wikipedia (see "Frank Serpico"), before the filming, Al Pacino invited Serpico to a house out on Long Island, NY. Pacino "...asked him why he did it. Serpico replied: 'Well, Al, I don't know. I guess I would have to say it would be because...if I didn't, who would I be when I listened to a piece of music.' "

Ditto.

No comments:

Post a Comment